Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Timesaver Tuesday: Know When to Say "No"

Today's tip is short and sweet and oh so hard to do. But, it is most definitely a timesaver when you can put it into effect!

I am of the personality type that wants to please others, even if it makes me unhappy sometimes. I dont' like to make anyone upset, disappointed, or unhappy. I'm a people pleaser. I feel like, for the most part, this is probably a good thing, but sometimes I need to focus on me, my family, and our needs. On the one hand, I can get along with most anyone, can work well in a group, and tend to be one that you can depend on to help you out in a bind. Great, right? But, on the other hand, I have a hard time saying "no" when asked to help someone out, take on a new responsiblitiy, go somewhere with someone, etc., so I sometimes over extend myself to the point that everyone else is pleased, and I am stressed and over tired. Thus, the exact reason everyone should know when to say "no".

As working moms, we already do a lot by going out each day and doing our part to help support our families. Then we come home and take care of a little one, either by ourselves or with a spouse's help. I can attest that these things, in and of themelves, involve a lot of time, effort, and sometimes stress. Because of this, we need to learn to say "no" if we need to. For some, this is no problem, but, if you're like me, it is a learned process. I have learned to take time to think about a request before saying "yes" or "no". This allows me the opportunity to decide whether or not I truly have the time to fulfill the request. Previously, I would have said "yes" then later wondered, "what was I thinking??". To agree to something that you don't truly hae time for will cause you and your family extra, undeserved stress, and no one needs that. You owe it to yourself and your loved ones to do what you need to do for you when you need to. It doesn't make you a worse person to say "no" once in a while; your family will appreciate it! You'll be a much better wife, mommy, friend, etc. if you know your limits!

0 comments:

Post a Comment