Monday, February 16, 2009

Timesaver Tuesday: When to Work

If you need to finish working on something (that truly can't wait until tomorrow), go ahead and stay a little bit after work to finish it rather than taking it home.

Every minute I am late after work makes me feel a little more guilty. Because of this I try to leave school as quickly as possible in the afternoons. Usually, this isn't a problem as long as I utilize my planning period appropriately. Lately, though, I have had a lot of paperwork to complete, and I have more than I can finish during planning. Although I feel guilty for staying late after work, I have found that the same task that takes 30 minutes after work will take twice as long (if not longer) if I take it home. Thus, it actually takes more time away from my family when I take work home. At home, EG always ends up fighting with the computer for my attention (who can blame her?) and I end up in a bad mood because I can't get finished. Also, it isn't fair to her, when she hasn't seen me all day, to pick her up from daycare and then ignore her for an hour! It is better for all of us if I just stay a little longer at work and then enjoy the rest of the day with my family, not having to worry about work or find time to get something done.

Image source: http://hr.ucsb.edu/icons/work_life.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Very good point. And if I wait until kids are in bed, it just doesn't happen because I'm too tired.

    ReplyDelete